Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Halloween Costume Time!

I absolutely adore Halloween. A few years back I discovered the amazing Mexican holiday/celebration, Dia de Los Muertos, via my high school Spanish language class; talk about an awakening! The imagery is fantastic and amazing, and I will forever hold a soft spot for traditional Mexican folk art, religious art, etc. due to that first splashy introduction courtesy of Senora Odle.

This year for Halloween I decided to pull out all the stops and create a BEAUTIFUL costume, something I haven't done for years. I never get to play around with costuming techniques, so I am thrilled to have the time this year (OK, I don't necessarily have the time so to speak, but I'm making time!) My inspiration comes from the amazing artists at 666 Photography in Austin, Texas. Below are a few of their pieces that inspired me to live it up as a Day of the Dead Harvest Muerta:







I have most of the flowers needed, tonight I'm going to work on making some bows and ribbon cockades, much like the beauties the House of Nines Design Etsy shop:



I'm also very excited about the makeup and hair - I plan on making some false hair pieces/rolls for volume, and tucking plenty of ribbons/flowers into my hair to create the beautiful crown that sets off each Muerta. I will be sure to take some photos of the finished costume! I'm excited to get back into the shop and finish this off tonight, hopefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment